Tuesday 7 July 2015

[Graphic Novel] iZombie: Dead To The World, Volume 1

Straight away I fell in love with this graphic novel. It's easy to read and I love the art-work. For some reason, to me, this art-work feels very 90's in style which brings an element of nostalgia to the comic.

Not only does this comic have a zombie it also has ghosts, were-terriers, vampires and other sorts of mysterious 'monsters'. Some of the concepts remind me of other things, for instance, the fact that there is a group of 'monster hunters' who have been around for thousands of years trying to control and kill off the 'monsters'. This is very similar to the storyline in the film 'Jumper' but hey, it's a good film and iZombie has a great storyline.

In general, iZombie has a very original storyline, the main lady, Gwen, has to eat a brain once a month in order to suppress her urges and hunger. However, with eating these brains comes the thoughts and memories of the previous owner, very interesting.

What I loved the most was the concept of the 'undersoul' and the 'oversoul' which I haven't seen before and this creates the basis of all of the 'monsters' listed above. You'll know all about it if you decide to read it!

At the end there is a lovely image gallery from the artist Michael Allred which is a lovely touch.

This is seriously a brilliant read, straight away I was hooked. Go buy it! I've already ordered the next.





No comments:

Post a Comment