Sunday 17 May 2015

[Graphic Novel] Empire Of The Dead - Act One

Zombies vs. Humans vs. Vampires.

This graphic novel has Romero written all over it. It has his signature marks that can be seen within his films, for instance, zombies that have remembered behaviour - such as Bub in 'Day of the Dead'. 

I'm not a huge vampire fan but this has a different meaning to me than just vampires. Romero gets very political with his vampires, which shows his interest in social themes and political issues. Something that I agree with profoundly - oppression by the higher social classes upon the lower classes, just because they have the wealth and basically, because they can. This issue is huge throughout the world. 

There is also reference to Barbara from 'Night of the Living Dead' which I was not expecting and I did appreciate this little tie in. 

Overall, a good read and I'm looking forward to Act Two.


No comments:

Post a Comment